Since I was a student, I became aware at how expensive meat can be to buy. Even though I took advantage of those “3 for £10” offers at the supermarket, I still found it hard as those offers were few and far between! I did try and become a vegetarian and live on vegetables but I do love my meat so sadly that never lasted! However, this was before I discovered how cheap and convenient chicken drumsticks, thighs and wings were!
You see, I was always a chicken breast kind of gal! I found more recipes required chicken breast meat and I didn’t know what to cook with chicken drumsticks, wings and thighs [don’t forget though guys, I was a novice chef and could just about make beans on toast!]
So I came across a dish in my first year that was not only simple to make but so cheap as well! Plus, it was pretty healthy and didn’t require a thousand pots and pans to make [which you know is a bonus for us students!]
The good thing about this recipe is that it can be easily adapted! You can use any type of vegetable that’s good for roasting [for example, butternut squash, carrots, parsnips, courgettes, onions, turnips, potatoes, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, peppers – the list is endless!].
- Chicken drumsticks, thighs or wings
- Salt and Pepper [to taste]
- 1 teaspoon of Chilli Flakes [optional]
- Handful of Cherry Tomatoes [chopped]
- 1 Small Onion [chopped]
- 1 Pepper [chopped]
- Handful of Mushroom [chopped]
- 5 whole Garlic cloves
- 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil [to drizzle]
- Pre-heat oven to 180ºC
- Pop the chicken legs in a roasting dish and season well by rubbing salt and pepper into the skin
- Add all the chopped vegetables to the dish, along with the garlic and sprinkle with the chilli flakes
- Drizzle with the olive oil and mix it in with the vegetables and chicken
- Pop in the oven for 1 and 1/2 hours
- Serve on it’s own or with mash potato!