I don’t think I’m the only person in the UK who’s hooked on The Fabulous Baker Brothers! So if you haven’t been living under a rock these past few weeks, then you’ll know these two brothers, Henry and Tom Herbert [one's a butcher, the other's a baker] are on a food mission to show others that baking’s not just for us girls! Although, that doesn’t mean the girls should turn over the channel as they’ll definitely win us over too!
Try not to confuse the duo with the 1989 film, The Fabulous Baker Boys with Michelle Pfeiffer, as these two don’t play schmaltzy jazz style music in small clubs. These fabulous baker brothers talents lie not in music making, but in baking and cooking as they show us foodies how easy it is to cook and that you don’t need to make endless amounts of cupcakes to prove to others that you can bake!
They obviously know their stuff when it comes to cooking as they have four generations of family foodie knowledge and know-how behind them! Which is pretty impressive to say the least but also gives you the confidence that what they’re showing and telling you will turn out just perfect!
So to show some love to The Fabulous Baker Brothers, I thought I would make one of their recipes. Now considering I’m supposed to be on a strict healthy diet [FYI: I'm on my 3rd day and I'm already struggling] I thought it’d be the perfect time to make their Sticky Sticks with Chocolate Sauce and change the recipe ever so slightly so it’s suitable for us coeliacs!
“So why on earth did you pick these sticky sticks?” I hear you ask. Well, the reason was… the melted chocolate and the fact that I haven’t had a doughnut or anything similar to a doughnut for years! Plus, the recipe looked so easy and quick that I knew I’d have whipped this up in a matter of minutes! What’s more, these sticky sticks are suitable for people with an egg intolerence as well as a dairy intolerence
- 400g Water
- 2 tablespoons of Oil
- 130g Gluten Free Self Raising Flour [I used Dove's]
- 130g Gluten Free Plain Flour
- Pinch of Salt
- 30g Granulated Sugar [I used a little more as I have a sweet tooth!]
- Vegetable Oil [for deep fat frying]
- Caster Sugar [to coat the sticky sticks]
- In a pan, add the 2 tablespoons of oil to the water and bring to a boil
- In a bowl, mix together the plain flour, the self raising flour, salt and granulated sugar
- Gradually add the water and oil mixture to the bowl and mix together with a fork [try not to over work it and the dough may feel a little sticky]
- Carefully roll out the sticky sticks dough into longish sticks
- Heat the vegetable oil to 170°C in a fryer or heavy-based saucepan and carefully add a few of the sticky sticks and cook for 3- 5 minutes until golden and crispy on the outside
- Once cooked, drain on some kitchen paper and when cool, sprinkle some caster sugar on a plate or clean surface and roll the cooked stick to coat