What up homies! I’m back!
After taking some time off from the blogosphere and twitter due to my mum being very poorly [I've explained more about that in my last blog post here ], I’ve decided to come back to blogging as she’s finally back home. Although she’s still poorly and I will still be here to look after her, I feel it’s ready for me to come back and start blogging again!
I also want to thank all of you for my lovely DM’s, emails, tweets and messages during that time. It really means the world to me that me, my mum and family have been in your thoughts. I’m really lucky to have such amazing and supportive friends, in and out of the gluten free community! Honestly, it meant an awful lot to me!
It’s been really strange not blogging for 3/4 weeks as you all know that I usually try and blog every day, but since being away from it I do feel a little out of ‘the loop’. I suppose the only way to get back into ‘the loop’ is to just jump right into blogging easy gluten free recipes….
So, I thought now would be the perfect opportunity to blog my easy, yet delicious, gluten free carrot cake recipe that I made my mum and sister for their birthday!
- 3 Eggs
- 175g Brown Sugar [I used Muscovado Sugar -'oo err'- but I'm pretty sure any brown sugar will do!]
- 175ml Vegetable Oil
- 175g Gluten Free Self Raising Flour [ I used Doves as it contains Xanthan Gum]
- 1 teaspoon of Gluten Free Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon [optional]
- 140g Carrots [peeled and grated]
- 50g Walnuts [chopped]
For the Frosting:
- 250g Cream Cheese [brought to room temperature]
- 50g Butter [brought to room temperature]
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 275g Icing Sugar
- Pre-Heat Oven to 180°c
- In a bowl, add the 3 Eggs and using a hand mixer whisk the eggs until frothy [I got an awesome and cheap one from Wilkinsons for £4.99! - bargain!]
- Add the Brown Sugar and whisk again until well combined
- Add the Vegetable Oil and whisk again!
- Sift the Gluten Free Self Raising Flour, Gluten Free Baking Soda and Ground Cinnamon and mix together
- Now add the Carrots, Walnuts and mix together with a spoon until they’re all mixed together
- Generously grease a cake tin ]or use greaseproof paper] and pour the Carrot Cake mixture in
- Pop in the oven and cook for 30/35 minutes [when baked, if you insert a toothpick/fork into the cake, if it comes out clean - the cakes ready!]
- Leave the Cake in the cake tin and pop on a wire rack for 5 /10 minutes.
- Then take out of the cake tin on the wire rack and let it cool fully before icing!
- In a separate bowl, add the Cream Cheese, Butter and using the hand whisk, whisk together until creamy
- Add the Vanilla Extract and then sift the Icing Sugar and mix together with a spoon [I used the hand whisk and the Icing Sugar went EVERYWHERE!]
- Now pop onto of your Carrot Cake and spread with a knife or spoon!
- Sprinkle on some Walnut Halves for decoration and admire your Gluten Free Carrot Cake!