Considering I’m such a chocoholic I’m surprised that I haven’t blogged about any chocolate recipes for a while! So I thought it was about time I did!
The other day, while shopping in Asda, I was stuck in a never-ending queue for the checkout and to pass the time I decided to read their Asda Magazine, when I came across a section all about tray bakes!
Now my mum has been telling me to make a traybake ever since I started blogging student friendly, gluten free grub and so I thought it’d be the perfect time to finally make one when I saw the Chocolate Smartie Cake recipe!
So yesterday I got my baking hat on and used the recipe for inspiration to whisk up a gluten free and dairy free chocolate tray bake. I waited
inpatiently for it bake, iced it and was just about to sprinkle it with a tube full of smarties when I thought, ‘hang on I’ll just check to see if it contains wheat/gluten’…. and ladies and G’s, look what I saw!
That’s right, about half way through the list it finally decided to mention ‘wheat flour’ in the ingredients list, which in my opinion should have been mentioned straight away or at least on the packaging stating ‘contains wheat and gluten’.
So if you fancy making yourself a ‘Smartie-less’ gluten free and dairy free chocolate cake, then follow my recipe!
- 200g Gluten Free Self Raising Flour [I used Doves as it contains Xanthan Gum]
- 2 level teaspoons of Baking Powder
- 50g Cocoa Powder
- 4 Eggs
- 225g Dairy Free Margarine [I used Vitalite Dairy Free Spread]
- 220g Sugar
- 4 tablespoons of Soya Milk
For the icing:
- 300g Icing Sugar
- 75g Diary Free Margarine
- 2 level tablespoons of Golden Syrup
- 2 level tablespoons of Cocoa Powder
- 2 tablespoons of Soya Milk
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C /Gas mark 4
- In a bowl, add the Gluten Free Flour and Cocoa Powder and mix together
- Now add the Eggs and mix together
- Add the Dairy Free Margarine, Sugar and Soya Milk and stir until evenly mixed and creamy
- Grease a shallow tin/tray or line with Greaseproof paper and carefully pour the mixture in, levelling the top and pop in the oven to bake for 35/40 minutes [mine took 37]
- Carefully and gently take out of the oven and pop on a wire rack to cool down.
- Now for the icing; in a bowl add the Icing Sugar and Cocoa Powder
- In a small pan over medium flame, add the Dairy Free Margarine, Golden Syrup and Milk and heat until melted [DON'T let it boil!]
- Pour the Margerine/Golden Syrup and Milk mix into the bowl with the Icing Sugar and Cocoa Powder and stir until smooth
- Once the cake has cooled, carefully pour the icing mixture on top and spread to coat evenly.
- Leave to set then cut into little squares and enjoy!